You are here
Are all financial institutions in Trinidad regulated by the Central Bank of Trinidad and Tobago?
No. All financial institutions in Trinidad and Tobago are not supervised by the Central Bank of Trinidad and Tobago. For example, the Central Bank does not supervise institutions that carry out securities business only, credit unions, and building societies.
• Institutions carrying on the business of banking or business of a financial nature in accordance with the Financial Institutions Act 2008;
• Insurance companies and insurance intermediaries (agents, brokers, adjusters etc) registered under the Insurance Act Chap 84:01;
• Private occupational pension plans;
• Bureaux de change operators; and
• The financial activities of the Home Mortgage Bank (merchant banking, mortgage institution, trust company and collective investment schemes classes of business).